making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Lifeline

When each batch of my P6 counsellees graduated to secondary school, I would give them a little gift as well as my contact details. As a rule, I don't give out my contact details to counsellees. However, as they leave primary school, a relatively more sheltered environment than secondary school, I thought it might be of use to them to have my contact. Being in a strange new environment can be a stressful situation for some people. I don't want my counsellees to feel they are alone and have no one to turn to. So in case they need someone to listen to them, someone to talk to, they can always contact me.

In any case, I am most glad that some of them have contacted me because of problems they had in secondary schools, because they needed advice, and so on. It is very nice too that once in a while, they would drop me a hello too. :)

I guess I don't see my former counsellees as closed cases and to be forgotten. I see them as persons and most of them have made a lot of progress and in a way, I have grown with all of them. For me, I still care about my counsellees even after they have graduated from primary school. Maybe that is my failing as a counsellor - I care too much. :P

No comments: