making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 19 December 2007

My Collections

Most of us have collected things at one point of time or another. Likewise, I have collected different things at various points of my life.

When I was a child, I started to collect stamps due to my mother's influence. I used to marvel at her huge collection of stamps. I still have my stamp albums in my book cabinet. I only stopped when I went to Australia for my undergraduate studies.

During my teen years, I started to collect bookmarks. Most of the bookmarks had Chinese wordings on them about friendship, love, and life. As most of these bookmarks were printed in Taiwan, when I visited my relatives in Taiwan, I was able to build up my bookmark collection over the years. The other day I was just looking at my bookmarks which I kept in two cookie tins and all of them are still in mint condition, lol. Again, I stopped collecting them when I went overseas for my studies.

In my late teens, as my best friend migrated to Australia, I became an avid letter writer. At the same time, I started to collect letter sets. I continued to collect letter sets and writing letters when I was in Australia. And surprisingly, some of my nicest letter sets were bought in Artbox, Melbourne when I was actually studying in Brisbane. Lol. Well, you see, I used to visit my best friend who stayed in Melbourne and also my ex Aussie boyfriends who were also from Melbourne, lol. :P Soon, with the advancement in IT such as email, I started to write less letters and so, there was less need to buy so many letter sets. But occasionally now, if I see nice ones, I would still buy them. :P

From my teenage years until now, there is something that I am still collecting most avidly - postcards and magnets, lol. I still have the postcards that I bought, when I was 15, at the various countries in Europe in mint condition! Postcard is one way of preserving my memories of the places I have visited, besides the photos that I took. But of course, if I haven't visited the places/ countries, I look forward to visiting them, lol. All my friends know about my postcard and magnet collection. So when they go overseas, they would all buy me postcards and magnets without me asking for them (sometimes lah, lol)!! I am really glad to have such nice friends. Lol. :)

Not sure what I am going to collect next... lol.

No comments: