making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 30 April 2007

Dreaming Dreams

Do you dream? Here, I am simply asking about the dreams that occur when we sleep, not of the noble kind of dream: vision, goal, aspiration that all of us have and only some of us, ok, most of us grow great by. :)

"A dream is the experience of envisioned images, sounds, or other sensations during sleep." (Source: Wikipedia)

I dream, every night without fail for as long as I can remember. I always remember my dreams, mostly in colour. I used to keep dream logs but not any more simply because there are too many to record. Now I only record the really unusual ones. Strange you say, why/ how would anyone dream every night? Yes, I find it strange too, apparently I am the only one in the family who dreams this much. Maybe I am just a dreamer. Hahaha.


I have mostly pleasant dreams, a couple of recurring ones, some really weird ones but seldom nightmares, thank goodness. Why you ask? Because I am not a lucid dreamer. That means I don't realise that I am dreaming and so I can't control my dreams. Imagine if I have nightmares of Freddy Krueger chasing me. *Shudders*

I love dreaming because to me, it is like reading a book: I don't know what the twist is and when it is coming up and how many twists there are going to be. Dreams are colourful, adventurous, strange, exciting, insane, fantasy, real - all rolled together. As Marsha Norman aptly put it, "Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you". I do believe dreams are the visuals to my soul. I do believe when I am asleep, my soul, my consciousness is soaring.

And from Carl Jung:
"The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul, which opens into that primeval cosmic night that was soul long before there was a conscious ego and will be soul far beyond what a conscious ego could ever reach".


So do you dream?

No comments: