making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 17 April 2007

Anger

Today at work, I was really angry with an email. I won't go into the details of that email. I replied it. Thank goodness, I had the brief presence of sanity to hold back sending it on to the intended person and instead, I sent it to a friend. She read it and said I sounded really angry.

I later took a walk with another friend and complained about the email to him. He commented along the line of Thomas Fuller: "Two things a man should never be angry at: what he can help, and what he cannot help". If it is something that I cannot help, why be angry. As Alfred Montapert said, "Every time you get angry, you poison your own system". Very true. I only get myself all upset. As friend said, "So why bother, let it go". He's right, it's not worth it. After the walk, I calmed down relatively.

Yes, I can be quick to anger, in certain situations. I know it is not a good trait. I promise I will learn more self-control and learn to let go, as friend said.

Anger is momentary madness, so control your passion or it will control you. [Lat., Ira furor brevis est: animum rege: qui nisi paret imperat.]
- Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus) (Source: Epistles (I, 2, 62)).

A man makes inferiors his superiors by heat; self control is the rule. Anger is an uncontrollable feeling that betrays what you are when you are not yourself. Anger is that powerful internal force that blows out the light of reason. Know this to be the enemy: it is anger, born of desire.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Did I send the email? Yes, I did but with the help of my 1st friend, it was almost an entirely different email in tone as compared to my original email.

No comments: