making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 7 June 2007

Sea and Sky





Do you like the sea? I do.

I have always like the sea since young. It could be because of my Taiwanese mother's influence because her hometown was by the sea. She used to take my brother and I back for yearly visits since we were babies until we were in our late teens. I remember fondly sitting on the rocks and looking out to the vast expanse of sea and sky, smelling the salt in the air, hearing the crashing of the waves onto the beach and rocks... Regardless of the different times of the day, it is always a colourful picture of sea and sky: so many different shades of blues, pinks, purples, whites in the sky contrasting with the different shades of blues of the sea.

I have had the opportunities to visit the sea every now and then while studying in Australia. Knowing how much I like the sea, friends would drive me to the beach to watch the sunrise or sunset, be it in Brisbane, Gold Coast, or Melbourne.

Now back in Singapore again, I shall endeavour to visit the sea as often as I can. I like the soothing presence of the sea. I like the vitality of the sea. I like the way my senses are overwhelmed by the sea: sight of the colours, the waves, the sky; sounds of the waves, seagulls; smell of the salt in the air; feel of the sea breeze on the skin; and sometimes, I can almost taste the saltiness of the sea.

I like the sea. No, I think I love the sea.

No comments: